Friday 4 April 2008

Adoring Images and Icons.

There is a difference between Protestant and Catholic interpretations of the Bible on the Ten Commandments. Catholics will take the First commandment "Thou shalt not have strange God before Me.......then run it into "Thou shalt not take to thyself craven images nor the likeness of anything in heaven nor earth, thou shalt not adore them nor serve them. Protestant separate th two so that the making of images and likenesses become two separate commandments. Well I kneel every week before an image of our Lady. Indeed there are processions in which images of the Virgin Mary are carried. Even images of Saints can be carried in this way. But then at home I have a picture of my mother and father and sister, now all deceased, an image and likeness of each of them and I often stand in front of it and think about them. If an image of the Virgin Mary and the saints is wrong then I must also be wrong in this. It is a likeness of three people on earth, and if the Protestant second commandment is correct I am committing a sin. And I have still to meet a Protestant who does not also have pictures at home. But the Protestant will object I do not adore them nor serve them. Nor do I. But just as a picture can bring thoughts and memories to us, so can an image of the Virgin Mary recall to us the stories of the Bible. The image of a Saint help us to remember his or her life. It is quite simple and there is no real valid objection here. But they rouse the emotions it is also objected. But I am an emotional being. How can I love someone in an unemotional way. If you can answer that then I concede.

No comments: